Search This Blog

Friday 13 October 2017

Geraniums are such lovely flowers! They just grow wild in our garden, and are nicer and more beautifuller than any flower you could ever buy from a shop. They just seem to yell out to me "home!" From when I was very little, geraniums have always played a special role in my life. When I was very little, Mum and I would go out to the garden every few days and pick a little posy of these flowers, wrap them in foil (it was always foil! Such a homely comforting touch when I remember it.) And then Mum would bundle me into the pram/stroller and off we would go on our way as she pushed me around the different streets and up and down hills to visit my grandma/grandpa (Mum's parents) who lived not too far away, with me proudly holding my little posy of geraniums tightly in my little hands to give to Mama and Papa. They may not have looked as good when we reached our destination as when they started off from our house, but they would always be delightedly received and placed in a vase, until they needed to be "disposed off" a few days later…and then we could
again pick another posy for them! We went to visit my grandparents every day so we certainly kept their house full of these little posies! In fact, I think that originally when Mum and Dad bought our house, they planted the geraniums from an off cut from my Papa's own geranium bush, so really the flowers were returning to him!
Geraniums give out a lovely fragrance too. The scent remains on your hand when you are carrying them, and also fills the room where they are placed. When I think of geraniums, I think of homely, warm, comforting things…of family memories…of joy in the little things…just a tinge of sadness because I miss my grandma and grandpa…of how love and kindness and care leaves a beautiful
fragrance on the hands of both the giver and the receiver. May we treasure our family and friends, treasure the little homely things of life, and treasure all the fragrance that our loved ones add and give out to us in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment